Agronomy Club Executive Faces Controversy Amidst Election Period
Conflicting Statements Surface Amidst Dispute Over Current Agronomy Club's Administration
Following the earlier revelations surrounding the treasurer's admission of her office being 'not-so relevant', The Treasurer maintains her position that her office held little relevance, as the majority of her duties were delegated to another office by the President.
On the other hand, the President denied saying that the outgoing Treasurer consistently declined to contribute or assist in club-related activities. Rather, all he said was, "She has been active, and we have been working together".
The Social Minister also mentioned that what has been said about his office is false.
Stakeholders Weigh in on Agronomy Club's Administration and Press Releases
To address the growing concerns and resolve the discrepancy, The Press proceed to the stakeholders' level to see what they have to say about AGY Club, its current administration, and the Press release.
Here are some of the responses gathered during the interview:
Electoral Committee
Nobody is trying to drag or spoil anybody's name. If you do something good, no one will call it bad, and if something wrong has been done, it shouldn't be covered up.
•••The Pressmen are doing their job, reporting what they heard. If there is no legislation, what then do the people have to help with balance checks? Although I must also say they have not been up and doing in fulfilling their tasks which results in the comments received for doing their job.
•••And of course, the President confirmed that the Treasurer has not been doing what she is asked to do. He even made an instance of when she was told to deliver a reminder in the form of a letter and she refused. Also, when she said she wanted to travel to Lagos, which prevented them from taking the group pictures scheduled for that day.
100L Students
Many 100-level students expressed limited knowledge of the Agronomy Club executives, aside from recognizing the President, Sports Minister, and Afobaje, who is associated with the Academic committee. A few happen to know the Vice President.
•••Regarding the press releases, students mentioned a lack of familiarity with the other executive members, making it difficult to provide detailed opinions.
•••Students expressed concerns about the commitment and participation of the executive committee, suggesting that the absence of other executives raises questions about their level of involvement. They emphasized that they would have only probably met other executives during their orientation.
•••They also expressed their dissatisfaction about how a recording of the personality lecture was not provided for them, as they were all absent because of a physics test. Also, the social activity for them in the department is zero, unlike other departments.
200L Students
✨'I only know the president'
••• Rate them? 'No o I don’t know'
•••No opinion about the press release.
✨Rating the executives' performance on a scale of 1-10, it's 7. They've been delivering effectively, the President and PRO especially.
•••I don't think I saw the recent press release.
300L
✨About the article of the press!!!, I feel you guys can do better and write more credible stories.
✨Rating the executives, I will say 6 out of 10. I don't know them very well, and I didn't read the press article.
400L
✨Rating the executives, on a scale of 1 to 10, I will say, 7.
•••About the Press release, I don't understand the outcry. The press has not done anything out of place.
✨The current administration has done a lot despite the short semester and challenges, they've really tried. I'll give them 7 out of 10.
•••As regards the article published by the Press, it boils down to the fact that there are no checks and balances for the executives. There's no questioning about the things they do and how it's done. The executives accused of negligence of duty are all humans. We're running a cabinet together and may have the fear that reporting a person can look like I'm being harsh to the person. I'll say that this happened because there's no legislative system in place to put people's actions in check.
So, for incoming executives, they must see the post as a responsibility and not just for their portfolio. Everybody's hands must be on deck and if you won't be available, you can give a cogent and tangible reason that will hinder the discharge of your duty.
•••Discipline is a virtue the executives must possess, and indiscipline emerges when there's a lack of consequences. As regards the AGY executives' administration, I believe we should have a legislative council. There's no point in having an executive council if the legislative is absent. We can't just put people into positions without having a system that checks their activities - that's a misappropriation of authority, in my opinion.
We don't even have an idea of the budget they're making, we're just putting our resources into their hands. There should be a standard that will show the next generation of the achievements, challenges, solutions, and improvement measures. That's how we can keep improving. For me, I believe the current executives should answer a few questions.
For example, was there any handing over? Do we have records for the next set of executives? how much money do we have left?
Furthermore, I don't think any 400L student should head any committee. They won't be on campus, so they shouldn't champion any committee.
✨Rating the executives on a scale of 10, I will rate them 6.
•••About the Press release, It's a normal thing that should be done. Why will there be an administration and nobody will check them, not to talk of an administration that has been running for over 1½ years? If the accusation is right, then no big deal. In fact, we expect more from the Press now that they have started. The executives should not forget we voted them in, and opinions matters in their administration too, they should not use the fact that they're leaving to spoil the work they had laboured to build.
••• The president carried out most of the tasks, so I don't really know if the others neglected their duties or not.
500L
✨I know the executives in my class and the Vice President. According to the Personality lecture, I think the executives did a good job and really exuded a cooperative spirit.
•••About the Press release, I think the Press should have asked the Treasurer before publishing.
•••About the Press release, I think the President insinuated that the Treasurer really didn't do much in her office. I'm saying this because I don't think the Press can cook up a lie against the President.
•••I’m sorry I won’t be able to answer the question about the Press article because I did not see it. I love to be truthful in every situation I find myself in.
••• Agronomy club has been the same since have been given admission to this school. In fact, repetition is what I see in this administration. I expect ginger above what its predecessors have done. The President tried his best and I must commend the Gen Sec he tried his best. Also, a lot of wide gaps I see. This administration is lagging/boring and the same oldie. The last administration add a little spice, but this administration drew it back. Thank God for the movie night that was added (note, I’m not saying they are the first to do that in the department. They are the third administration who will do that)
The deed has been done, but I hope the upcoming ones will add a little sauce to what is on the ground. The next administration that will show up should pls fill in the wide gap.
These diverse perspectives from stakeholders emphasize the need for improvements in transparency, accountability, and effective communication within the Agronomy Club. Suggestions include establishing a legislative council, the press should do better at carrying out their activities, providing records of the administration's activities, and fostering a cooperative environment. By addressing these areas, future administrations can work towards building trust and ensuring that stakeholders' concerns are adequately addressed.
Remember, the objective is to identify areas for improvement and implement measures that will ensure accountability, collaboration, and effectiveness in future administrations.
As the Agronomy Club moves forward, it is essential to implement measures that promote openness, collaboration, and accountability. The insights provided by stakeholders should be carefully considered, identifying areas for improvement and addressing concerns raised. By doing so, the club can work towards fostering a more effective and cohesive environment for all members.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment