FICTION
The Greatest Motivator
Resuming school after staying home for a long time was a great delight for me. I was basking in the euphoria of knowing you’re a university student. My status has changed; I was expected to be excited. Remembering the series of exams I had to write before getting into the university, I never missed a chance to thank God.
The first semester came and went like a dream; I remember how my hopes were dashed when I wrote my first test. I came out of the test smiling sheepishly, thinking I had given the right answers; however, I later knew what I was into when the result came out. I was very disappointed. What could I have done wrong? I gave it my best. I lamented.
I put in more effort to make my grades better. According to my opinion then, I gave it my best. After the exams, I started hoping for a perfect result. Even though I didn’t expect much, it was my first set of examinations at the United University of Ikeja; therefore, I didn’t know what to expect. At the same time, I never hoped I would fail.
Fast forward to when the first semester results came out. I requested my transcript from my department’s course advisor, Dr Kajola. He made me relax and eventually told me what my GPA was. I was on 1.80. He encouraged me and told me I could do better. As I left the office, I started having mixed feelings. The anxiety I had been feeling before turned into fear and disappointment. I was very disappointed in myself, and my heart was pounding as if it had been hit with a stone.
I planned to be a first-class student. I began to ask myself, where would I go from here? I reached my hostel room, looking like someone had been attacked by a gang of thieves. My hopes were completely crushed. I was glad my roommate wasn’t around. I had the privacy to cry and truly cry all I wanted. I eventually stood up from my tears; I kept the transcript safe inside my file and decided to do better the second semester.
This time, I was determined to give it my all, and as I did, I began to see ways I had trivialized some things and started making adjustments. I ensured I didn’t miss classes; I moved with people with similar visions. I didn’t fail to reach out for help whenever I needed it. When the examination period came, I tried to cover all my materials, leaving no stone unturned.
At the end of the second-semester exams, I started hoping again. I was not based on my efforts alone; I also sought God’s mercies in prayers. Of course, I read well, but I didn’t rely on my efforts. I prayed to God. And when the result came out, I didn’t get what I aimed for, but I knew I was on the way.
My name is Adelaide Williams; after the second semester, my CPGA moved from 1.80 to 3.0. I knew this wasn’t what I wanted, so I decided not to settle and to continue pushing myself until I arrived at my desired result. Now, I realized that I'm my greatest motivator.
Ogunsanmi Adeola Susan,
200l Student.
Comments
Post a Comment