LIFESTYLE
Tides of the Mon-Day.
BY: JOSEPHINE OGWUDA
For students, the "Tides of the Day" can be turbulent. Sunday evenings are often spent dreading the looming wave of Monday, with its packed schedules and dreaded first bell. But how do you navigate this tide? Do you surrender to the chaos or equip yourself to ride the waves?
As an awoite, Obafemi Awolowo Hall is known for being the farthest and most stressful female hall because of its location and the agonizing staircase.
And my fifth-floor perch guarantees daily stair-climbing expeditions. And if you are like my neighbour, who can't run lots of errands in one go, it turns into a mini Olympic - Let's scale Everest!
Yet, it's also a source of pride, having birthed the Student Union Vice President and boasting an "Amazlms" spirit of unity.
Let's hear about my Monday!
Sunday evenings, I tame the Monday beast. Four hours vanish into Monday meal and water prep, packing my backpack, outfit planning, shoe shining, and a quick revision/ cram session. An additional two to the gods of chat and movies, and by midnight, I succumb to sleep hoping to wake up to an already conquered Monday.
I try to face every morning with optimism and commit the day to the Lord, even when Monday throws me a curveball especially when I haven't planned well and my frustration could spill over.
I take a deep breath and leave my dorm with a positive vibe to CBN. No cheesy grins, just a friendly greeting or compliment (a bit awkward, especially guy to girl, but hey!). Even if they ignore me, I don't sweat it.
At CBN, the heat from a packed lecture hall could melt glaciers. Doubts creep in – was coming even worth it? Instead of gossiping, I try to dive into last-minute revision, reading anything and everything before the lecture commences. Most times it's a Lights out, generator kaput, class canceled. Good news? Bad news? The jury's still out.
As the day marches on, class after class, a weary sigh escapes... then the afternoon break. Everyone's chugging sugary drinks and munching on junk, but me? I whip out my packed lunch. Sure, some might call it childish, but it fuels my brain and saves me cash for those photocopies.
Up next the the practicals. Stewing in a hot lab for 3 hours, lab coat clinging like a sauna suit, thirst gnawing at my throat – a recipe for a migraine. And if you break something? Thank goodness I haven't
Another class follows, where attendance is fiercely monitored, a battle against the evening slump and the siren call of dorm life. Exhaustion gnaws at my patience, but I channel the morning's inspiration and resist the urge to snap at careless bumps. Finally, freedom! Back in the dorm, I resist the seductive pull of the bed and fuel myself for tomorrow's grind. Homework, revision, and a quick meal fill the next three hours, a race against the clock before sleep or socializing beckons. A silent prayer of gratitude rises for the day's challenges overcome.
This is my story of conquering Monday. It's not about ignoring the challenges, but about equipping yourself to face them head-on. With a little Sunday planning and a dash of faith, you too can turn the Monday monster into a manageable mountain. So, fellow students, what will you do to tame your own Monday tide?

Comments
Post a Comment